Friday, May 1, 2009

David vs Saul

Reading through the Bible again, I'm in 1st Samuel, where David's attitude and behavior toward Saul in chapters 24 and 26 challenge my ideas of justice and self-preservation. David takes Deuteronomy 32:35 and turns the knob all the way to 11. Romans 12:19 (along with the entire paragraph containing it) applies that in way that is familiar to most Christians. However, Hebrews 10:30 (in context of the whole chapter) forces me to accept that it's not always about somebody else!

That passage requires me to take a sober look at myself, but also reminds me to take comfort from the intervening story in 1st Samuel 25, which describes David's response to the insult by Nabal. David totally overreacts, but Abigail's intervention keeps him from completing his own intended revenge. I am humbled by how quickly David acknowledges his own bad intentions and gives them up.

I am thankful to God for this reminder of how He can build great things out of flawed materials.

No comments: